If you cannot fall asleep for a long time, you feel anxiety you wake up early and turn around until the morning – these are signs of depression. Why cocoa and warm milk are often enough to cope with a sleep disorder.
People of different ages suffer from sleep disorders, but if in the elderly the body needs less sleep than before, young people often feel insomnia as a symptom of a more serious illness. About what to do if you can’t sleep, how to make the awakening painless and Olga Zueva, a psychotherapist at the Regional Clinical Center “Psychiatry-Addictology” told correspondent about the night trips to the refrigerator.
If the pillow does not help
– When I say that I can not sleep, they usually recommend me to drink cocoa. And what if neither cocoa, nor the whole season of the series before bedtime help?
– It rarely comes about insomnia, which is usually seen as a psychosomatic syndrome that signals other problems. Usually, people start a trip to the doctors with a visit to the therapist, he sends to the neurologist, if the neurologist did not find the causes of insomnia, the patient comes to the psychotherapist.
Insomnia is a common symptom of depression, anxiety disorders, and most neuroses. More often, people see a symptom, but do not notice other problems, the body adapts to a lowered mood rather quickly, but when sleep is disturbed, this affects both work capacity and well-being.
Is it enough to choose the right medication to sleep peacefully and wake up painlessly?
– You can always consider a medical treatment option. There is a group of drugs that help regulate sleep, but the risk of taking such medicines is depending on which they lead. Therefore, they are not assigned for a long period of time, but they are suitable for situational insomnia associated with a change in time zones, the transition from night work to day or acute grief. In such situations, sleeping pills is a good option that will allow you to maintain sleep for the necessary time.
The norm of taking sleeping pills is three weeks, a longer medication leads to addiction. Unfortunately, in the instructions for a number of drugs they write that they do not cause dependencies. This is not so, a long intake of any drugs violates the natural formula of sleep, and it is very difficult to correct the dependence.
In addition to sleeping pills, there are popular remedies – soothing teas, herbs, and non-prescription sleeping pills. They can alleviate the condition, if we are talking about situational anxiety, for example, on the eve of the exam, but they do not treat the disorder. If you can help traditional means – a shower before bed, a cold pillow and fresh air in the room, you should not contact a psychotherapist.
You won’t sleep in retirement
– At what age do people more often complain of sleep disorders?
– With age, the body’s need for sleep decreases. The baby can sleep for twenty hours, and in people of retirement age the need for sleep decreases to 4-6 hours.
If the problems are addressed by young people, most likely, it is about psychological difficulties. There are a small number of people who need four hours to sleep, and a small number of people who need more than eight hours to sleep. Most young people need from six to eight hours to sleep, everything else is not the norm. If a person cannot fall asleep for a long time, it is most likely anxiety. But the early awakening – woke up at dawn, looking at the ceiling – this is probably a depressive disorder.
Older people are more likely to have conflicts: a person does not need to sleep for eight hours, but he has free time and wants to spend it on sleep. If in old age a person wakes up at five in the morning, this is not insomnia, but a time for life that needs to be filled not with sleep.
Young people under the age of 25-30 have easier sleep, because they are able to sleep for four hours and sleep on the weekends for a week. The body compensates for the lack of sleep during the week. But with age, the brain loses the ability to respond so flexibly to lack of sleep, because in old age it is important to adhere to the regime. It takes less and less sleep, but it is more difficult to achieve sleep quality. A student slept on a pair for half an hour, woke up and was awake, and at forty years it is almost impossible to sleep a bit during the day and feel a surge of strength. It becomes important regime, its own bed, in which he sleeps better and which needs to be spread at a certain time.
– It turns out that anxiety causes insomnia, but a lack of healthy sleep leads to anxiety. How to start the fight for sleep in this vicious circle?
– The doctor always starts by searching for the cause, which led to sleep disturbance, and then there are two ways of treatment. The first one is medicamentous, and someone comes purely for a prescription. The second is a psychotherapeutic one, in which case the therapist begins by working with a situation that has led to insomnia.
The problem is that our mentality is characterized by shyness, and if a person is not embarrassed, saying that he is the core, then to say – I have depression – is considered something impermissible. From here and unwillingness to work with the psychotherapist.
“Are nightmares a sleep disorder?”
– There is no sleep without dreams, just some of them do not remain in the memory. This may be due to the fact in which phase of sleep – fast or slow – a person wakes up. As well as the state at the moment of awakening may depend on what phase of sleep a person wakes up.
– In order to take some time without sleep, many go to the refrigerator. Is this also an alarming symptom?
– There are many options: waking up and falling asleep, a person controls himself less than during the day, and if a person severely restricts himself in nutrition during the day, when he wakes up, his craving for food also wakes up. If a person has diabetes, the body may signal a shortage of nutrients in the middle of the night, and this may be the cause of nightly impulses. The most annoying option is when food becomes a way to reduce anxiety.
Many people consider the psyche as secondary and consider that experiences should not be as much concerned as physical well-being. As a result, people suffer, and there are a lot of patients with insomnia. People treat it on their own, including alcohol, and this is a road to nowhere, because a glass of wine before bed can very quickly become insufficient.